Tuesday, April 27, 2010

A Whole Bag For $8.99!


Today I was mentioning to a coworker that I needed to buy a decent sized quantity of hot dogs for a party at work. She told me where I could go to buy the amount I needed. She also mentioned that this same store had really big bags of frozen chicken breasts on sale. She said they were super huge chicken breasts and you could get a whole bag of them for $8.99.

I couldn't help but think about that chicken who's legs wouldn't hold him up anymore. Maybe it was his gargantuan breasts in that bag? Either way, I just couldn't get that bloated chicken incident out of my mind, so of course I decided against buying a bag. This got me thinking...I'll eat hot dogs, but not the giant chicken?? So where am I really on this food journey? Particularly the meat part.

Six months ago: 100% of the meat consumed in my household came from the supermarket. With the exception of the occasional packet of Laura's Lean beef, all of it came from mass producing farms.
Today: About 50% of the meat I consume comes from Farmer Packard's Farm. About 25% comes from the supermarket but is relatively healthy (Laura's Lean beef, frozen fish filets, ground bison). And the other 25% is everything else, including mass produced meat in the form of hot dogs, bacon, etc. Included in this category; food from restaurants, which means basically from an unknown source). I have not yet found a good source of chicken. Farmer Packard does not yet raise chickens, except for eggs.

So I realize for me, it's baby steps. I'm not where I want to be, but I've made big strides. 75% improvement. Good, but I'm striving for 100%. I'm not about to give up; I'm just getting started. This mission is too important. Cheap and Convenient is killing us.

No comments: