Thursday, April 1, 2010

I'll Put My Water In A Bottle!


Nalgene is a company that produces water bottles. Up until 2008, those water bottles contained a chemical known as BPA, one of the most widely used synthetic chemicals in the industry.

With more than 6 million pounds produced in the United States each year, bisphenol A (BPA) is found in dental sealants, baby bottles, the liners of food cans, CDs and DVDs, eyeglasses and hundreds of household goods, including (you guessed it) bottled water. The chemical has been linked to neurological and behavioral problems in infants and babies, along with certain cancers, diabetes and obesity.

Despite claims from the manufacturer that it's safe, Nalgene decided to stop using the chemical in it's bottles, which are now labeled BPA free.

There's no doubt, reusable bottles are much friendlier to the environment that waste from bottled water.

The biggest danger with Nalgene or any other reusable water bottle, is bacteria. As mentioned in last night's article, water that contains little or no chlorine cannot do much to prevent the spread of bacteria. Therefore, bacteria begins to grow in filtered water very quickly. Failure to wash the bottle and the lid with very hot, soapy water every day could make you sick.

Mary's Opinion....I love my Nalgene bottles. I have two. One at work, one at home. I like lots of ice in my water, so the big mouth on the bottles is ideal. I can fill it with as much ice as I like. I admit I have been lazy about washing my bottles properly on a daily basis, but I commit to be more diligent.

1 comment:

Artesia Springs said...

Are you looking for a local bottled water company in San Antonio? Artesia Springs is the most popular local bottled water company in San Antonio and we assure you for good taste, maximum convenience and utmost product quality. We offer delivery for both home & office bottled water in San Antonio. Call 210 637 5554 for daily specials!