Sunday, June 7, 2009

It Wasn't Just Me

After writing yesterday's post I received a phone call from my Dad. A couple of minutes into the conversation he told me that the day of my son's graduation was "the saddest day of [his] life". He said the feeling lasted all evening and it was the saddest day he's had since we lost Mom. He said he couldn't stop thinking of how proud she would have been to see Graham receive his award for Good Citizenship and Upstanding Moral Conduct. He told me he didn't feel right keeping the flower all to himself, so first thing Thursday morning he took it over to her grave and shared it with her.

The apple don't fall far from the tree.

I'm sure I get alot of my anxiety and emotions from Dad. I can vividly remember him having horrible, horrible headaches when I was a child. Mom would make him a big bowl of ice water and he'd dip a wash rag into it and put it over his eyes. We had to be very quiet. My Dad never went to the doctor back then so there was no diagnosis, but looking back I'm sure he probably had migraines. Also, I've recently heard stories that my Dad's mother would spend days at a time laying in bed with depression. That's tough when you have eight children. My Dad's oldest sister was really the one who raised him.

Dad always tells me not to let things get to me so much. Maybe it's because he's experienced a lot of the same feelings I do now.

No comments: