Wednesday, January 14, 2009

Step Two

Step Two:
"Came to believe that a power greater than ourselves could restore us to sanity."

It's not easy for a person who is used to controlling and "fixing" everything to come to terms with the idea that anyone else (even God) might be better equipped for the job.

I thought the only thing that needed to be done to restore my sanity was for my husband to quit drinking. I was wrong.

I've always been a very spiritual person. Not religious; spiritual. I've prayed every day of my life since I can remember. Sometimes I talk to God several times a day. It seems very natural to me. Yet when my husband brought home the AA blue book about two and a half years ago I must admit I was surprised at the strong emphasis Alcoholics Anonymous placed on asking God for help.

For years I prayed that God would help my husband quit drinking. For the life of me I don't know why I wasn't praying for God to restore my sanity. Now I do....regularly.

I'm happy to say that at this point in my life I'm doing quite well with this Step.

No comments: