Sunday, January 18, 2009

Step Six

Step Six:
"Were entirely ready to have God remove all these defects of character."


Several days ago I was telling Madison about a situation involving my husband and me. We started bickering about something silly, and I immediately found myself going into my role as codependent. I was aware of it. I felt myself going there, I knew when it happened, but there was nothing I could do to stop it. Once I had landed solidly into my role I stepped back, stopped talking, and removed myself from the situation. When I came back into the room later, everything seemed okay again.

That's what this Step is all about. You are totally aware of the problem and your inability to control it. You are sick of playing the role and are entirely ready to give it up.

For so long I have relied on these behaviors, my codependent behaviors, as trusted friends. But they have turned on me. What once protected me may now be my undoing.

I am ready to learn a better way.

1 comment:

Scarlett said...

One of my favorite verses in the Bible simply states (I'll give the Scarlet paraphrase) that when we ask for forgiveness, God remembers our sins and in this case, our defects, no more. He forgives us, but we keep on beating ourselves up over the same old thing. He forgets them but we sure can't.