Saturday, January 17, 2009

Step Five

Step Five:
"Admitted to God, to ourselves, and to another human being the exact nature of our wrongs."

At first, this Step seemed simple to me. I've admitted to God, myself, and anyone who would listen exactly what seems to be wrong. Apparently it's much more complicated than that. It seems there are a host of counselors, clergy, and other professionals trained in the process of the Fifth Step. It goes hand in hand with the Fourth Step, and I'm told the two Steps together should encompass about a year. Who knew?

Most agree that it is better not to do a formal Fifth Step with a neighbor, friend, spouse, or other family member: it may backfire and hurt us. I suppose it's like finding out you have a disease and going to your friend to ask for a Band-Aid, when you really need to see a physician. If there are deep rooted issues you are just now discovering or admitting, you would want to be steered in the right direction as you uncover them. In my case I've been through plenty of professional counseling, and I'm pretty sure we've touched on a good portion of my "issues" and where they came from.

At this time I'll simply say I'm not ruling out more counseling or an organized support group. I'm just not ready for it right this minute. I guess that means I'm not ready to work this Step right now. Besides.....my "fearless moral inventory" from Step Four is far from being complete.

No comments: