Sunday, April 8, 2012

Sunday Reflections

It's Easter morning, and it feels like a lot of people in my life have a lot on their minds.

My Dad just walked in to pick up my son for church and told me that on this day in 1952 he left his home in rural Kentucky to join the Air Force. Sixty years ago today. I could tell it was on his mind, and he seemed proud of it. Clearly, it's an anniversary he wanted to acknowledge.

One friend is struggling with grief and lots of conflicting feelings this weekend.
One friend has just entered in to her battle with cancer.
One friend is launching a new business, but is also dealing with sickness in the family and is preparing for the loss of her neighbor, who has lived 94 wonderful years.
One friend is torn about a major life decision.
One friend is in a daily struggle with a decision she seems to keep questioning.
One friend is spending a lot of time by herself due to a very selfless act of love and helping someone fulfill their dream.

As for me; I am feeling very emotional right now. The least little thing can bring tears to my eyes. All of the things listed above are not only weighing on the hearts of my friends, but also on my heart. The anniversary of my mother's death comes in a few days. My son will leave home for his 8th grade trip to Chicago next week, and will end his middle school journey. I keep thinking of how this affected me three short years ago when he graduated from elementary school. I'm not sure I'm ready to have kids in high school. My sister turns 60 on Saturday, and that brings a few emotions too. Not due to her age, but due to where she's at in her life right now. I've had the opportunity to spend a whole week with Kitty, who has been in town for a visit. We've talked and talked, and had such a great visit. But I always hate saying goodbye at the end.

I don't know where life is going to take me in the coming weeks. But I feel like it's going to take me somewhere.

3 comments:

Gordon said...

Hoppy Easter from a simple old friend.

Toots said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Mary said...

Love you, simple old friend! Happy Easter.