Thursday, May 5, 2011

Quotes I Like


Mystical doesn't have to shop too hard for my birthday present. Every year I ask her for the same thing. A "Wild Quotes from Wild Women" calendar. I LOVE flipping the page every day to see the witty words that await me. Today's quote has been stuck in my head all day, so I decided to write about it. It seems to fit in with several different stories people have shared with me in the past few days.

"To cure jealousy is to see it for what it is; a dissatisfaction with self."
-Joan Didion


There's a lot of bitter people out there. People who can't seem to find delight in the successes of others. People who constantly feel they must "one up" you. Some people are what my husband calls "Oh-I-Know's". No matter what you tell them, they already knew it. There's a skit about a "One Upper" on "The Women of SNL", a show Scarlett and I could watch over and over again.

You know the type--you say your arm hurts, suddenly they are having chest pains. You say your 17 year old cat died last week, they say their cat died yesterday--at age 18. I don't think most of the "One Uppers" and "Oh-I-Knows" are even aware they do it.

Maybe Joan Didion is right. Maybe these people constantly have to "one up" because inside they are terribly unhappy. They can't find joy in anyone else's triumphs because they are so displeased with themselves. Recognition for anyone else but them is unwelcome, and will not be tolerated. At least not without retaliation.

No comments: