Sunday, May 15, 2011

How About A Little Sugar With That?


I just read a startling statistic. Children ages 6-11, along with female adolescents, get 20% of their daily nutritional intake from added sugars.

Think about that for a minute. One fifth of the energy that fuels their bodies is from added sugar in their diet.

Everyone knows "The Biggest Loser" is my favorite television show. I was very saddened to hear that one of the trainers, Jillian Michaels will be leaving the show after this season to raise a child. But then I read that she will begin working diligently to fight childhood obesity and the atrocious school lunches served to America's children, much in the way Jamie Oliver and our First Lady, Michelle Obama are doing. That got me pumped. Jillian Michaels as a warrior fighting this battle can only be a big plus.

Childhood obesity is an epidemic. An avoidable epidemic. Other than signing petitions and passing on information to my handful of readers in "Detach", I'm not sure what I could do to help with this problem. So until I find another way, that's what I intend to keep doing.

No comments: