Thursday, September 3, 2009

The Breakfast Club


None of The Boys of Summer (BOS) were serious boyfriends. They weren't even boyfriends. As Bob Seger says "We were just young and restless and bored" and "we were gettin' our share". The first love interest in my life who wasn't just a fling was my very first true love, Chris W.

I've had writer's block for days now, partly because I've been a little depressed and tired, but also because I couldn't decide how I wanted to write about this. I've decided there's no way I can write the "Chris W Story" all in one entry, so I'll just start off with an introduction. Chris and I went to school together. He wasn't like any of the BOS. He didn't talk much, he listened to Black Sabbath, he didn't make good grades, and everyone said he was on drugs. I became enchanted by him sometime around 9th grade I think. But a boy like Chris couldn't just be lured over to my parlor with the challenge of a game of pool. No, this one would take time. Time and patience and some research.

Once I finally got him to talk and to trust me I found Chris to be funny, intelligent, very sweet, and interesting. He didn't just "accept" things the way I always had. He questioned things. He questioned authority, he questioned organized religion, he smoked weed. I was mesmerized by someone so different from me. Chris and I were very much like Molly Ringwald and Judd Nelson's characters in "The Breakfast Club".

I was very close with one of my teachers, Miss Thomas. I remember one day she approached me and said "I hear you've started hanging out with Chris W. I hope you know what you're doing. Please be careful". That would be the first of about a hundred times I would hear that line from people who cared about me in my life.

It's funny, but I honestly do not remember anything at all about how Chris and I came to be. I'm not positive what grade we were in. I don't remember the first time he called. I don't remember the first time we went out. When I think back on that time of my life I just remember he was "there". And "there" he would stay for awhile.

No comments: