Monday, September 14, 2009

So Sleepy


We all know I've had anxiety issues for a long time now, but lately I've also been experiencing something that is uncommon for me; depression. I guess I've had depressed days or times in my life but not like this. For the past several weeks I've felt exceptionally low. I feel like I could sleep all the time, I get distracted easily, and my desire to race home from wherever I am to my "safe place" is stronger than ever.

I feel pissed off a lot and I'm not even sure why.

Yesterday my very intuitive neighbor/friend came over to borrow something and confronted me about it. He said the past several times he'd seen me I just wasn't myself. He was concerned. I'm not sure what is causing this funk. Maybe it's a combination of things.

They may differ slightly based on who you ask, but most experts and support groups recognize there are various stages of grief a person experiences after suffering a loss. The loss may be due to a death of a loved one but certainly is not limited to that. The addict may experience loss or grief when they stop drinking. A person may experience loss or grief when their world suddenly gets turned upside down by a family bombshell, or an unexpected medical diagnosis.

If for whatever reason, life as you knew it no longer exists you will likely experience stages of grief. Depression and anger are among them.

I've had some losses recently. The most obvious being my mother who passed away 17 months ago. But there have been other, more subtle losses for me too.

I won't talk about those "subtle" losses tonight, nor will I discuss the grief stages. Quite frankly I don't have the energy to look them up. But I think it's going to be important for me to take a look at them. I'll do that tomorrow. Right now I just want to go to bed.

No comments: