Sunday, August 23, 2009

Quotes I Like

"Automatically trusting people is a sign of naivete' and immaturity, not health. It's dangerous. Because we can trust someone one day, doesn't mean we can trust that person tomorrow. People shift and change. anyone is capable of anything, depending on the situation. Awareness is crucial. We will be guided about who to trust, when, and for what. We'll also be given red flags and warning signals, but we need to pay attention. But we can trust God, Life, and ourselves for discernment in the moment we're in now."
-Melody Beattie
The New Codependency

4 comments:

madison said...

what happened at the reception? This posts makes me think something happened. We will talk later. Amd then again, maybe I am wrong. I hope I am.

Sally said...

That is a very accurate quote.

Mary said...

The reception was fine...not to worry. We had a very nice time.

Recently a close friend of mine was lied to by her friend about something petty and insignificant (lunch plans). It really hurt my friend and made her mad. I think it damaged their relationship. It definitely made my friend realize she could no longer trust that person. It's so much easier to tell the truth. Lies just snowball into more lies. Anyway, I read this quote tonight and it just seemed timely. We ought not be so trusting. Trust ourselves, trust God. Then we won't be hurt and disappointed!!

Puddin said...

I remember one thing my Grandma said. She said to look in the mirror. Other than God, she said that was the only other person you could truly trust. She was right.