Friday, August 14, 2009

My Mom

It was never wise for anyone to try and get something over on my mother. I guess the Blackfoot Indian and alleged John Dillinger bloodlines were just too strong.

Sometime in the early 1980's my mother's aunt passed away. My mother was given a few trinkets from her estate, the most interesting of which was a very large amethyst cuff link. There was only one of them and since my mother's birthstone was amethyst they gave the cuff link to her. The amethyst was a very large emerald cut, probably close to an inch long and nearly half an inch wide. My mother had it made into a very striking looking ring.

One day Mom had gone to a building supply place to pick up some top soil. She paid her money and was instructed to drive my Dad's El Camino around to the loading area. She waited patiently for a worker to come load the bags for her. After several minutes of waiting, a man sped up in a pick up truck. He jumped out of his truck and started loading several of the bags of top soil into his truck. By the time he was finished only a few bags remained, many of which were ripped and leaking.

The man shot a glance at my Mom, I guess to see how she was taking all this. My Mother extended her arm and held her hand out flat in front of her. Her thumb was wrapped under her hand and touched the bottom of the amethyst ring. "Tssst! Tsst!" my mother blurted out. The man got a dazed look on his face and said "What are you doing???" My mother calmly replied "That was a Sicilian Hex. Everything you plant in that damn soil is going to die." The man jumped in his truck, burned rubber, and peeled out of the parking lot.

By then the loading dock boy had come around and told my Mom he had more topsoil in the warehouse and he'd be right back with some. He then asked my Mom "Was that for real? Did you really put some kind of hex on that man?" My mother replied "Nah....that was just something I saw on The Golden Girls."

1 comment:

Scarlett said...

Priceless. Just priceless. I'm going to have to remember that line and use it.