Monday, August 17, 2009

It's Not Brain Surgery!

Recovering alcoholics have a very difficult time dealing with the highs and lows of life. You can't really blame them, they never really had to do it before. When something went wrong they didn't deal with it, they medicated it. So when they stop relying on the bottle to fix their problems they often have big problems when little problems occur. Couple this with the fact that they are sometimes mad as hell about having to give up their old friend and you've got a recipe for some volatile emotions.

Our household has been experiencing just this type of unrest for the past few days. The problem is, I can't accept when things are unsettled because I always think they are unsettled because of something I did or didn't do. It always has to be about me! Instead of "hitting it back" I grab the ball and instantly perform brain surgery on it. "My God, I've caused a tumor! It must be all my fault!"

The storm clouds seem to be clearing but this is an area that needs work. Work on everyone's part. Communication is key. So is knowing when to accept "what is" and not over analyzing every negative emotion and comment.

It's no surprise to me
I am my own worst enemy.
Cause every now and then
I kick the livin' shit out of me.

No comments: