Friday, April 10, 2009

I'm Late, I'm Late!!!


Wow. It's been a really tough day for my family.

Our day was filled with challenge after challenge....all things beyond our control. I had to stand by and watch a series of disastrous events unfold and there was absolutely nothing I could do to stop any of them. When you have control issues like me and you desperately want to "rescue" but can't, this makes for a helluva day.
My husband is off on Fridays. Tomorrow he is running in a 10 mile race. He had planned to get up early, get our two kids off to school, go pick up his race pack, then come home to spend the rest of his day mentally and physically preparing for tomorrow's big race. He would have a nice big breakfast, then lunch; stretch, hydrate, workout, and get his mind where it needed to be.

God laughs at our plans.

Our son woke up sick and was unable to go to school. My husband had to take my daughter to school then come home, get my son ready, and take him to my Dad's house. That made him run late to pick up the race pack. After that he was supposed to meet up with his brother who works a few blocks from where he picked up the pack. For no apparent reason, the traffic was gridlocked trying to get out of the race parking lot and that made him really late meeting his brother who was on his lunch break. After that he had to race back home to get the checkbook, then go to pick up my son for a doctor's appointment. The doctor's appointment turned in to a two hour ordeal which meant no one was waiting for my daughter when she got out of school. Long story short, by the time my husband got home he was really struggling to keep it together. He hadn't had anything to eat all day and had been late for everything he tried to do. All the while I sat at my desk at work getting reports about how the day was falling apart and there was not one single thing I could do to fix any of it.

This may seem ridiculous to some people, but for a recovering addict and a codependent person, this day was pivotal. I know my husband wanted to retreat and go buy a 12 pack. Unable to fix everything, drinking sounded pretty good to me too! I just wanted to eat a cake or take something to calm me down. Day ain't over yet, and there's still some lingering tension in the air, but I am happy to report neither of us did any of these things.

Hectic days happen to everyone. Hell, they happen to me all the time. The fact is, as a codpendent person, I'd much rather a day like this happen to me than to anyone else. Plans get changed; that's life. It's all in how you react to these things and let them affect your actions that matters.

No comments: