Thursday, February 5, 2009

Step Twelve

Step Twelve:
"Having had a spiritual awakening as a result of these Steps, we tried to carry this message to other codependents, and to practice these principals in all our affairs."

How do we share this message? Not by rescuing. Not by controlling. Not by obsessing.

We carry this message in subtle but powerful ways: by doing our own recovery work and becoming a living demonstration of hope, self-love, self-nurturing, and health. Learning to remove ourselves as victims, take care of ourselves, and walk our own path is a powerful message.
-Codependent's Guide To The Twelve Steps

I'm slowly learning to work the Steps. Writing this mini-series has helped me become more familiar with them and what they mean to me. Some Steps are coming easier than others. I'm trying hard to focus on myself, not on others. I believe I'm portraying myself less as a victim to other people.

Writing this journal is helping me stay focused and may be my contribution to Step Twelve.

1 comment:

Puddin said...

Thank you so much for taking the time and effort to explain in depth the Twelve Steps. I've learned quite a bit from this series. I'd heard and read about the Twelve Steps but had no clue what they were all about.