Thursday, March 24, 2011

Don't Say That Out Loud!!!


I'm currently reading the book "Eat, Pray, Love". I know, I know....I'm a few years behind everyone else, but that's just how I roll. Anyway, in the chapter I just finished, Liz is in the throws of a horrible, years long, gut wrenching divorce. She's on a road trip with her girlfriend and is working herself into a frenzy worrying whether or not her husband will FINALLY settle and sign the divorce papers. Her friend suggests she write a petition to God concerning this matter. Liz feels this is inappropriate and you should reserve prayer for more serious matters. Her friend insists that she put it in writing in a letter to God, then throw the request out to the universe. After all, she is a part of the universe. So Liz writes the request on paper and then something interesting happens. She starts praying and she gives the thought power. She starts naming people whom she knows would sign the petition if given the opportunity, and one by one as she thinks of them she says out loud that they support her in this request. After an hour or so of naming people in her support group whom she believes would sign the petition if they could, she became exhausted and fell asleep. About an hour later she received a phone call from her attorney. Her husband had signed.

This is a concept I am learning to embrace. For years now if I say anything negative to Sally, she quickly barks back with "Don't say that out loud!! Your words have power! Don't put that thought out in to the universe!!" Me, being the quintessential believer that what's meant to be, will be, always shrugged off this notion. But when our house went on the market, Sally encouraged me to put it out there that a buyer would come. I said it out loud, but half-heartedly at first. I told my husband about it and he said he was also a believer in this form of positive energy. By the time we began to have repeat visitors to the house I was doing it on my own. I was saying it over and over and over again. "The right person WILL come along. They WILL worry that the house will slip away if they don't act fast. God WILL send us a buyer who loves the house and wants to live in it. We WILL get an offer....SOON!". And we did.

Whether we understand it or not, our words are powerful indeed. Think positive thoughts; avoid negative. Even though it feels silly, say your words out loud. Pray out loud and with feeling. You may be surprised at the results.

No comments: