Thursday, January 15, 2015

Scent Of A Woman: Part Two

The first fragrance I ever fell in love with was Sweet Honesty. 

If you were a girl growing up in the 1970s, you and your mother had plenty of Avon in the house. Sweet Honesty was their scent for adolescent girls. It was very sweet and light. I loved the way it smelled on me. But the best part was it often came in cool little bottles. I had both of the ones pictured here. The furry teddy bear (my favorite) and the deer.  They were necessary staples that doubled as decor on my dresser throughout middle school.  Truth be known, those empty bottles may still be at my dad's house somewhere.

My youthful affair with Sweet Honesty lasted for a few years. Even into my early high school days. Then l guess I just outgrew her. It was time for me to move on. 

Sweet Honesty didn't just represent a young and innocent time in my life, it also represented a time in history. True, there were serious matters going on in the world, but in middle-class suburbia, the mid-70s was a great time for a young girl to live, love, and discover the world around her. Everything seemed so simple to me back then. 

To the best of my knowledge, Avon no longer sells the fragrance. 

They say you never forget your first love. I will never forget Sweet Honesty and I will always love her.




No comments: