Saturday, April 30, 2011

Prom Night

I guess it's funny how we grow up and have such different ideas. A girl I went to school with grew up in the same area of town as I did. We were both middle classed,and had similar upbringings. Tonight she posted a comment on Facebook that made me realize that somewhere along the way, we took very different paths. The comment read:

"I want a prom do-over. No Camaro driving, baby blue tux wearing boys need bother to apply. Oh, and unlike the prom goers I saw earlier this evening, I remain permanently UN-tattooed".

In 1981 it was my dream to go to the prom in a Camaro. I went instead, in a Pacer (if you're under the age of 40, look it up). I'm 47 years old now, and if I didn't have to cart kids around, I'd run straight to the dealership and buy myself a brand new Camaro today. And the baby-blue tuxedo? My date wore black, but in 1981, baby blue wasn't so weird. As for the tattoos....I just got my third, and I'm not ruling out more in the future.

So what is Donna was looking for? I ran into her about a year ago and she was very lonely and very unhappy. For me, if I had it all to do over again, I'd keep my tattoos, and even though a Camaro would have been better, I'd take Chris W. in the Pacer anytime.

No comments: