Sunday, May 23, 2010

Everyone Can See THAT'S Dangerous.....Right?


Kitty and her husband Bobby have been eating organic foods for a few years now. Yesterday during a phone conversation with her, I started wondering why it's taken me until recently to get on board. I think I figured it out.

When Kitty and Bobby first started talking about organic food and the hazards of commercially produced meats, I thought it was a little over the top. I remember at the time, I was thinking that the government must think drugs given to animals are important, or else they wouldn't be there.....right?

In other words, I wasn't purposely putting myself and my family in jeopardy because I didn't care; I was putting myself and my family in jeopardy because I was misinformed. It's kinda like the mom you see driving around with her baby in her lap, or an older child in the front seat with no seat belt. It's not that the mom doesn't love her child, or that she wants her to get thrown through the windshield in a crash, it's that she doesn't comprehend the danger, or the statistic that car crashes are the number one cause of death for young children. Or that she simply thinks it won't happen to her.

I know now, that most of the meat and milk in the grocery store comes from animals that are pumped full of antibiotics and steroids. Some are now cloned animals. I know now that no matter what anyone says, this is NOT good for our bodies, and it's NOT there to protect us. It's that way so the product can get to market in half the time. It's there for the sake of Cheap and Convenient, and you can bet that the less it costs, the faster it was produced. And it's going to stay that way until consumers send a message.

There are plenty of sources for pure meats and produce if you look for them. Find a farmer's market. Get to know a local farm family. Trust me, they are eager to get to know you! And if you think I'm fantatical, crazy or don't know what I'm talking about, have a conversation with a local farmer, or better yet, do a little research about where your current food supply is coming from. You may be unpleasantly surprised.

No comments: