Wednesday, October 21, 2009

It Was A Very Good Year


In the summer of 1991 I was 27 years old. I had been divorced for a year. I had been living back home with my parents during that year and I was in the process of buying a little house of my own. My relationship with Michael had just ended. I was offered a promotion at work which would require moving from our main office and managing a branch office near my home. The stress of moving out on my own for the first time in my life, starting a new job, and not having a steady man in my life was both very thrilling and very stressful at first. Then I got the knack of it.

This is about the time my short-lived second round with Chris W. occurred. Remember, I mentioned he helped me move into my little house. I was going out on casual dates with assorted people who asked me out or who I was "fixed up" with. Nothing serious. This would be the start of a wonderful time in my life. I was independent for the first time. I had a decent paying job, my own little house, and a nice car. I was beautiful. I was in the prime of my life. Thin, with long blonde hair. I was confident, and I didn't "need" anyone.

I've never thrown out my calendar from 1991. Still have it. I wrote all my dates on there, and all the fun things I was doing with my girlfriends too. I started going to bars for the first time in my life. Forget the dance clubs, I loved going out to see bands. I usually hung out with girlfriends on Thursday and Friday nights, and had dates on Saturdays. It was a great year. Everyone should have that much fun in their lives, at least for awhile.

Kitty and I had known each other for a couple of years by this point, but we bonded during that time. We ran around all summer, just having fun. The nine year age difference between us was quite appropriate because I had missed out on a lot of years, so socially we were in the same place. At the end of that summer she introduced me to her brother who of course is now my husband. Life knew it wasn't quite the right time for us though, and it would be several months before we would get together.

I dated a lot of people between Summer 1991 and Summer 1992. A couple that were noteworthy. I'll save those stories for later.

No comments: