Thursday, July 2, 2009

I'm Sure I Missed The Point

Yesterday I had a session with Dr. Eve. While I was there she had me lie down on the sofa, close my eyes, and relax. She sat in a chair next to me and talked me through a complete relaxation, starting at the top of my head and winding up at the tip of my toes. The process took about twenty minutes, and she recorded this onto a tape for me to listen to whenever I like.

This would have been great, except for a couple of things.

Dr. Eve set the scene as a peaceful valley. Warm sun, tall grass blowing in the breeze, etc. In this scene I am relaxed and walking through a grove of trees....very at peace. In my mind I started thinking how the place she was describing was almost a little scary to me. But alas, I focused on relaxing whichever body part she was moving to at the time.

Next she had me stop at a big tree and sit down on the ground next to it. She had me rest up against the tree, letting it support me. This just did not work for me. Sitting on the hard ground in this position did not sound comfortable. Plus, if you know me you know that I do not like to be dirty and the thought of my back and hair being up against that tree was getting to me. I could just picture ants crawling down the trunk and moving onto me.

Dr. Eve's voice is very soothing, and the directions she gave on relaxing my muscles were indeed helpful. Other than the peculiar thoughts I was having I could have easily gone to sleep. I just think I need to have someone re-record the instructions and this time put me in a nice fall scene with warm sun and a cool breeze. I could lay in a hammock and look up at the leaving falling from the trees and floating down. All the while staying perfectly clean and free of insects.

I'm quite aware this is odd. That's why I'm going back in two weeks.

2 comments:

madison said...

OMG!!!! This is not all that odd, I don't think. I have this same problem. I can not clear my mind enough to accually relax. There always somethng else going on in my head. It is not always the same either. I can try to meditate, I make my own scenerio and out of no where my mind wonders to the things that are wrong with the scenerio. We are control freaks, you are making great progress and I think I have too.

Mary said...

Baby Steps, Madison.....Baby Steps.