Friday, November 28, 2008

Catchy Phrases Decoded

As a kid I can remember seeing cars with unusual bumper stickers. They said things like "One Day At A Time" or "Easy Does It". I never knew what those meant or why people would drive around sporting them on their cars.

Now I understand there are a wealth of little sayings like that used by AA and various other Twelve Step Programs. The one I want to talk about today is:


"Let Go and Let God"


A very simple phrase; needs no explanation really. But for people with control issues like myself, this one can be really, really tough. I want so desperately to figure out a way to fix some of the things going on in my life right now but I just can't. With the better part of three days remaining in this long weekend, I'm going to do some meditating and some praying, and focus my energy on practicing this concept. I'm going to concentrate on turning this situation over to God. He's the only one that knows the proper way to fix it.

(By the way, the big problem I'm facing right now is not alcohol related, but something very large. I'll be at liberty to talk more about it later).


1 comment:

Puddin said...

When I was in the hospital for ten days after my near-death wreck back in July of 1992, people would come to visit me and offer words of encouragement. Other than the support of my parents, the one thing that helped me the most during that time was a little card that my then-supervisor dropped off for me when she came to visit me at the hospital. It had a picture of a little kitten on it and it simply said "Let go and let God." I've carried that card with me for the past sixteen and a half years.