Monday, January 30, 2012

Back To The Future

I'll bet she doesn't even remember it, but many years ago, my friend Old Beth told me something, and I've never forgotten it. It may have been when I was struggling with my first marriage, I'm not sure of the circumstances. Whatever it was, I was feeling uncertain about what to do, and where life was going to take me. I made the comment that I wish I had a crystal ball so I could see in to the future and know what was going to become of me. Old Beth said "No you don't".

Old Beth's dad had a series of health problems. She said if five years before, she had looked into the future and seen all he was about to have to go through, it would have literally scared her to death. That has stuck with me all these years. Sometimes I want to know what will become of me. Do I control the outcome? Do others around me control it? Or is it simply God and His plan? One He's had in place since the minute I was born? Maybe it's a little of all three. Either way, I'm pretty sure Old Beth was right. We just need to be patient and stick around to see how it all works out.

No comments: