Monday, January 16, 2012

I Have A Dream

As we observe Martin Luther King, Jr. Day, I have to wonder just how far our nation has come since the Civil Rights marches of the 1960's. While blacks are now able to eat in the same restaurants as whites, and are able to ride pretty much anywhere they choose on the bus, there are still prejudices and road blocks. I see it from some of our customers at work towards our black employees. Just the other night I found out that a former classmate and once a friend of mine is now an active member in the KKK. Make no mistake; there's still plenty of racism in America.

In 2005, Scarlet and I made a stop at the Lorraine Motel in Memphis, TN, the site where Dr. King was assassinated in 1968. It was emotional to stand in the parking lot and see the site.

I can remember hearing people grumble when President Reagan signed the MLK holiday into law in the 1980's. But I think it's important to educate. Important to remember. Important to celebrate the life of this peacemaker.

No comments: