Tuesday, January 3, 2012

How's Your Energy?

I think it's happened to us all. Someone walks into the office or into the house, and suddenly everything changes. Some people have the ability to make everyone happy just by being close to them. Others seem to instantly piss everyone off. Some people can be around you and the tension is so thick, you could cut it with a knife. It's not always spoken words that make us feel happy or mad or tense, it's often what's UNspoken that affects those around us.

There's a phrase I've heard dozens of times in the past few weeks, "You are responsible for the energy you bring into a room". Maybe you believe it, maybe you don't. But when you are tense or angry, you make the energy in the room tense and angry. When you are happy, you bring that positive energy into the room and to those around you.

I had a wonderful compliment today. I went for my check up with the psychiatrist who prescribes my meds for anxiety and depression. She asked how I was doing, and I noticed she was just beaming, with a big smile on her face. After I gave her a quick update, she told me how different I was from the first visit with her, about 9 months ago. She said "Your energy is totally different from when we first met. When I opened the door to the waiting area, you immediately caught my eye. You looked so confident and it was just radiating out of you!" I took that as an incredible compliment! An incredible accomplishment!

Being around people who bring negative energy to the room can bring everyone down, just as carrying that cloud over your head brings negative energy to those around you. So if there is an environment that continues to make you uncomfortable, take a look at all the players in the room. Just be sure to include yourself in that list.

No comments: