Saturday, August 6, 2011

Commercial Art Advertising...Really??

When I was a junior in high school, I realized two things. One, I had a major crush on my Sociology teacher, and two, I was completely fascinated with human behavior. This lead my decision to sign up for the class again during my senior year. They say you shouldn't have regrets in life, but I often wish I would have chosen to study Sociology instead of Commercial Art Advertising when I went to college. Maybe I'd have decided to stick with it and graduate instead of dropping out after two years, and maybe I'd be working in that field today.

It's so interesting to me to see how people act, and especially react to certain situations. Some people, when confronted with something they don't want to hear, twist things around so they can quickly avoid the comment by changing the subject and acting like the comment was never made in the first place.

Some people tuck all their fears, pain, and emotions far, far away, so they don't have to deal with them. Only they do deal with them, the issues just manifest themselves in very repressed and unhealthy ways. Some people (like me) want to talk about every emotion they are feeling. They want to think about and analyze what caused them to feel the way they do.

Some people are independent, some people are codependent. Some introverted (my daughter), some extroverted (my son).

Some people are bitter, some at peace. Some are deceiving, some are genuine. Some lie and cheat to make themselves "winners" or to always appear smarter, some are honest and accept their shortcomings.

But none of us are born with these traits, with the possible exception of introverts and extroverts. So the fascinating part is what factors cause us to end up they way we do. Our parents, our upbringing, life experiences, and other environmental factors. All very fascinating to me.

But I didn't choose to study this in college, so now I have to be satisfied with MY choices. I have my blog, which allows me to dabble a bit in the subject, but at this point in my life, it appears that's as far as it's going to go.

No comments: