Thursday, January 7, 2010

Will You Rub This Stick of Margarine on My Back?


It's very, very cold outside. It snowed today too. Unlike most people I love winter, but for some reason tonight my mind is drifting to a different place. I was remembering being a teenager and swimming in my friend Sammy's pool (Boys of Summer 8/5/09).

Sammy and I were young and invincible. In desperate attempts to obtain the perfect Hawaiian Tropic tan, we'd rub anything we could think of on to our skin (with the exception of sun screen). At the time we hated our bodies and thought we were fat. I'm pretty sure I speak for Sammy too when I say we'd both give $20,000 to have those bodies back today!

While we floated on rafts in that pool we talked....alot. We talked about boys we liked and boys who liked us. On a lucky day I might catch a glimpse of Mike Brown pulling in or out of the driveway in his black Mustang.

In those days, Sammy and I couldn't wait to grow up and get out on our own, away from the rule of our parents. Now she lives two states away, and I rarely get to see her. I miss her alot and I hope we can keep our goal of getting together sometime this year. We had a lot of fun in that pool, analyzing life, love and anything else we could think of. I sure wouldn't mind life being that simple again.

No comments: