Thursday, December 4, 2008

The Art of Acceptance

Sometimes facing reality is simply more than we can bear. We may have too much to accept, our present circumstances may be overwhelming. Yet, we must come to terms with what is. If things are ever to be any different, we must accept reality. If we are ever to replace our lost dreams with new dreams and feel sane and peaceful again, we must accept reality.

Please understand acceptance does not mean adaptation. It doesn't mean resignation to the sorry and miserable way things are. It doesn't mean accepting or tolerating any sort of abuse. It means, for the present moment, we acknowledge and accept our circumstances, including ourselves and the people in our lives, as we and they are. It is only from that state that we have the peace and the ability to evaluate these circumstances, make appropriate changes, and solve our problems.
(Adapted from Codependent No More)

On more than one occasion in my life I've accepted "what is". Sometimes I've accepted and stayed still, sometimes I've accepted and moved on.

I'm at one of these crossroads in my life right now. I believe that today, I finally accepted something. I don't like it, but I accepted it. Now I just have to decide if I'll stay still or move on.

2 comments:

Puddin said...

You know that regardless of whether you decide to move on or stay with "what is", I'm always going to be right there beside you. We'll move on or stay together.

Mary said...

Thanks, Puddin. I know you will.