Sunday, July 27, 2014

Practice What You Preach



I saw this quote a few days ago and I can't get it out of my head. 

It's saying some people say one thing, yet do another. You see words coming out of their mouths but their actions make it impossible to hear what they are saying. Essentially, many people are hypocrites. 

I can instantly think of about ten beautifully classic instances of people I know doing this, and some of them are pretty damned good. But what personal growth do I gain from that?  None. So I will turn this around and take a look at myself. 

I've lived most of my adult life this way. Saying I wouldn't tolerate certain behaviors, yet continuing to allow them for years. Decades even. I've made leaps and bounds here. Now, if I tell someone I'm going to do something, or NOT do something, I mean it. I'm proud of myself in that area. 

Clearly the one area where I continue to fall short is vowing to eat better, exercise, and lose weight. I talk, talk, talk it, yet I eat, eat, eat it. I drink it too. 

So instead of focusing on how much it bugs me when preachers come in to my office and flirt with my employees, or a number of other things, I'm going to try to take a life lesson from it. 

Practice what you preach. 

Happy Sunday, y'all. 


No comments: