Saturday, June 25, 2011

R.I.P.

A wonderful thing happened yesterday. Our television died. I came home and my husband prepared me for it the way you'd prepare someone if you were about to tell them the dog ran out in the street and got hit by a car. For a minute, we both sat there staring at the picture as it spun around in a circle. We just stared and stared, like it was suddenly going to get better. It did not. We said some words over the body..."Well, it lasted eight years. That's a long time for electronics these days." "Well, it was really looking outdated anyway. It was quite large and today's sets are much smaller." "We got a lot of good years from it. MAYBE it can be fixed!" Then (and that's where the wonderful part comes in), we turned it off! Silence for a minute, then my husband went to the cabinet and selected some Beatles music. He turned it on, and we sat on the couch together, listening to it. It was just like the old days, back when we were dating. We'd say "There's a lot of George in that song", or "I'm sure Paul wrote that." "Don't forget to give credit to George Martin".

It was a great night. Frankly, I hope we don't replace the television for awhile!

No comments: