Sunday, February 21, 2010

My Reason For Being Here - The World According To Mystical


The next faithful reader to write a commentary is none other than my friend, Mystical. Mystical is 40'ish, married, with no children. Her job requires that she is constantly learning new things, and can sometimes be very hectic. I've been friends with Mystical for several years now and I believe her to be the calmest, most even tempered friend I have. Sitting here right now I can not even recall a time when I've seen her rattled or seen her come unglued. I think these personality traits play an important role in understanding Mystical's response to our question.

Here are Mystical's thoughts:

Dear Mary,

What a question. In fact, it happens to be a question that I don't think I have EVER really thought about. I guess it should be everyone's purpose to try and do good unto others and to try and spread as much joy and happiness as humanly possible. To be aware and considerate of other people's feelings, beliefs, religion, etc...and not to judge them because of it. It's so easy to find ourselves judging another person because we don't agree with or believe in their way of living or thinking. I know that I'm guilty of doing just that but I do try to not go there.
Just last night, I was watching a show on TV about polygamists in Canada and I thought to myself, why would it bother anyone that these people CHOOSE to live their lives like this. Now granted, I know that there are some Mormons that go to the extreme and force young girls to marry someone that they don't necessarily love. Warren Jeffs was a prime example of that. To me, that is a crime. But this program was showing a family who had broke free from that way of thinking and moved to Canada. The husband was very open to the real possibility that some of his offspring may very well choose to live life outside of the religion and he was ok with that. The women were great friends and helped each other tremendously. I can't remember exactly how many children were involved but one of the girls was about to give birth to her 7th child. While the whole polygamy lifestyle wouldn't be for me, I think I could be totally happy living with a bunch of women who were compatible and raising kids or not, and just helping each other live long, healthy lives. I know it sounds weird but it appeals to me. Girl power, I say! I don't think of women in an intimate way by any stretch of the imagination, I just seem to enjoy their company a lot more. I guess when you've been with the same guy for as long as I have....well, I don't know. All I know is that as he gets older and his views go one way while mine go another it makes it difficult to share some of the feelings that I'd like to share. They get a lot more curmudgeony as they get older too! Men, gotta love em'!
So, back to my purpose...like I said, I've never really thought about it and now I will always be thinking about it thanks to Mary. I guess that's a good thing because it might help keep me in check to be a better person. Thanks to Mary for posing this deep thinking question and I can't wait to see what everyone else had to say.


First, let me say that if at any time all the "Detach" women want to move in together, I am IN. How wonderful would it be to have your closest friends around to share the cooking, cleaning, and working out daily problems?

Next, let me share with you Webster's definition of the word "mystical". Mystical: Having a spiritual meaning or reality that is neither apparent to the senses or obvious to the intelligence.

I want to point out that while I am quite positive Mystical DOES have a very special reason for being here, she's no more worried about it than she is about who is doing what, wearing what, saying what, and believing what. Maybe Mystical is calm and seemingly stress free because she doesn't spend her life worrying about what the people around her are doing!

No comments: