Sunday, March 29, 2009

My Ex-Husband


About 3 years into our marriage I started suspecting David was cheating on me, which of course he adamantly denied, making 22 year old me think I was crazy and paranoid. I don't remember how it all came about, but we finally decided to see a marriage counselor.

This was my first experience with any type of counseling and I wasn't sure what to expect. We went in and met the guy and started telling him about our problems. Let me rephrase.....MY problem. The counselor then asked me to leave the room. A few minutes later David came out and I was asked to go in alone. The counselor said "I just asked him to tell me the truth and he says he is not having an affair. You are going to have to find a way to get past this. Now, David is wanting to go to King's Island for the weekend with a couple of his buddies from work. I think it would be good for you to let him do this to build trust."


Well, if the Christian counselor says so, I guess that's what I should do!

Kings Island is a large amusement park located in Cincinnati, OH which is about 100 miles from our home. At the time my place of employment sold discount tickets to the park so I went in to work, used my employee discount to get the best possible price, and bought two tickets. I also booked a hotel room close and convenient to the park so they wouldn't have far to go after a long, hard day of riding roller coasters. I only got two tickets and one room because the other guys that were going already had their tickets and reservations.

I felt a lot better. I was doing what the counselor suggested. I was abandoning my gut instinct and trusting. I was being a good wife.

Of course I later found out there weren't any other "guys". David and his girlfriend (at the time) used the tickets and the room and had a romantic weekend together. Oh, did I mention I paid for the tickets?

No comments: