Tuesday, November 18, 2014

Goodbye

Today was an emotional day for me. I am still struggling with this incredible itching, and the rash is taking a toll on me. But that is not the reason for this post. 

Three and a half years ago I met my psychiatrist, Dr. JS. I was in the throes of depression and anxiety. You know the story – I just wrote about it a few weeks ago when Robin Williams died. I had seen doctor after doctor, decade after decade, and was prescribed drug after drug in an attempt to help my depression and anxiety. None of them worked. 

When I met Dr. JS she took a completely different course of action with me and got me on medication and into therapy that actually worked for me. 

Recently I found out Dr. JS is moving on. She has accepted a new position about an hour outside our town. Today was my final visit with her. It was very emotional. I feel that I owe her so much. Finally getting me on the right meds and matching me with the right therapist has changed my life. It is very hard for me to end any type of relationship. This was no exception. I felt a great deal of overwhelming fear. What if I relapsed?  Who will help me?  Who will understand my unique responses to drugs? Dr. JS gave me a wonderful peptalk and told me how proud she was of me. She told me I am a very strong woman I can do anything I set my mind to. But if life should ever throw me a curveball, and I find myself in a bad situation, I can come see her at her new facility. She would welcome me. But she feels I have found my wings enough to fly on my own with the help of my primary care physician continuing on the medication I have been taking. 

I will miss Dr. JS and I owe her a huge debt of gratitude. Letting go is always so very hard. I am thankful she came into my life, and wish her all the best. 

No comments: