Monday, March 31, 2014

Regrets? I've Had A Few...Part Four

Moving right along with our series. Bronnie Ware writes:

#4. I wish I had stayed in touch with my friends. 

"Often they would not truly realize the full benefits of old friends until their dying weeks, and it was not always possible to track them down. Many had become so caught up in their own lives that they had let golden friendships slip by over the years. There were many deep regrets about not giving friendships the time and effort that they deserved. Everyone misses their friends when they are dying.

It is common for anyone in a busy lifestyle to let friendships slip. But when you are faced with your approaching death, the physical details of life fall away. People do want to get their financial affairs in order if possible. But it is not money or status that holds the true importance for them. They want to get things in order more for the benefit of those they love. Usually though, they are too ill and weary to ever manage this task. It all comes down to love and relationships in the end. That is all that remained in the final weeks, love and relationships."

This is an area of my life where I have stayed extremely strong. As I have written before, the bonds I share with my close friends are what has kept me alive. Just thinking of the people who read this blog, many of them have been friends of mine for 30+ years. I truly do not know what I would do without them. I think maybe this is something I learned from my mother. Her friends were so important to her. My dad too. 

But there are many people who choose not to maintain friendships. One reader told me a family member has let most of her friendships go. I also know people who have not only let friendships go, but have severed ties with everyone. I do not believe you have to physically be with someone to nurture a friendship. I have a dear friend who I haven't seen in years, but still relate with through email. I have often said that in my life, men have come, and men have gone, but my relationship with my friends has persevered through it all. The one true constant in my life. For that I am grateful and very happy. 


No comments: