Sunday, September 12, 2010

Opposites Attract

My husband and I got out of the house early this Sunday morning and met Sara and Marty-Marr for coffee. During our visit, Sara made the comment that she had advised both her daughters they should marry a man just like their dad. That sparked a conversation about the types of people we pick. Sara said we either seem to pick a person that reminds us of our parent, or we pick the exact opposite. I realized I always pick the exact opposite.

I don't know why--my dad is a great guy. But when I was growing up I was sheltered from everything. We never went to the Catholic picnics like everyone else. We never went to pizza places or the popular fish places because they served beer. My dad refused to go anywhere or eat at any restaurant that served beer. He didn't want me exposed to it. Looking back, I have to wonder if that was such a good idea.

I think it's human nature to be attracted to things that seem forbidden. So does this mean we should allow our kids to be exposed to things so that they won't be so lured in as adults? Who knows?

2 comments:

Mystical said...

Well, coming from someone who has no children maybe this won't set well with all but I absolutely believe that if you allow a child exposure to everything in life, sex, drugs, bad language, etc...it won't be such a culture shock for them and it won't hold such an interest for them as they get older like the forbidden fruit does. In my opinion, the parent needs to be the one to know when to pull back the reigns and let the child know that this isn't right or that they are still too young to be having such experiences. All the studies show that kids want their parent's guidance in life...they look to them for direction. So, yeah, totalling sheltering a child, I think, can do way more damage than good...but that's just my humble opinion. That being said, I've known people who were sheltered and turned out just fine...maybe they had a wild spell or something but hey, we all need to let loose once in a while, right? While I'm pretty sure that I would be a decent parent, I would be afraid that I would tend to shelter, even after what I said above...that's what I feel. But I also realize the dangers of this horrid place we find ourselves living in. There is so much evil out there and I know that our parents and their parents before them have all said it "The world just isn't the same way it used to be when I was a kid!" But don't you feel that way too? When I think back to some of the stuff that I used to do as a child...wow. So, while for a long time I didn't think that I would be happy without children in my life I have accepted that this is what's meant to be...if God had intended for me to be a parent, he would have made it happen. Life has plenty of heartache in it just being in love with someone...I can't imagine how having children expounds those tough moments that we all find ourselves going through from time to time. Don't know why I felt compelled to say all that I just did but there it is...thanks for giving me a sound off place and God Bless all of the parents out there...I can't imagine what a hard job that must be.

Mary said...

Well said, my friend.