Wednesday, October 29, 2008

The Day I Hit The Wall: Part 1

People who have problems or addictions rarely seek help for them until they hit a wall. There are “obvious” walls such as a DUI, an accident, health problems, or the loss of a job. Any of these may push the addict to realize they need to seek help.

I hit my wall in August.

My husband was hanging out with our neighbor. After I’d gone to bed I realized they had parked themselves on our deck, which is directly below the bedroom window. All night long I kept waking up. I’d hear them talking. Normal voice, not shouting or anything. It got later and later. Every time I awoke I envisioned the scene. In my mind I saw beer cans everywhere. The next time I woke I could picture them laughing at how I’d never know they were drinking because I was asleep. The next time, I could just see them staggering, slurring, and about to pass out. Who knows what else!

At about 5:30 I awoke and heard guitar strumming. Dear God, they've been up all night and now they've dragged out the guitars! I was livid. I tried to go back to sleep but I was so filled with rage from my psychic visions that I just couldn't. I just new the entire day would be one big hangover. Nope, no work would get done that day! It would just be a day filled with throwing up, headache, arguments….the day was ruined!

At precisely 6:45 a.m. I couldn't take it anymore. I got up, grabbed my robe, and headed down the stairs. Even though my entire body was shivering, I could feel my blood boiling with every step I took.

By the time I reached the kitchen I was out of my mind. I walked to the back door that leads to the deck. I reached for the door knob. I yanked the door open as hard as I could.

I suspect I looked quite Gollum-like as I pointed my shaking finger in my neighbor’s face and said “YOU NEED TO GO HOME”. I then turned the finger to my husband and scathed “YOU NEED TO COME IN!”

As long as I live I’ll never forget the looks on both their faces. My neighbor was standing there holding an acoustic guitar. If there was beer or any other alcohol involved I never saw it. There were no dancing girls either. Neither of them reacted with a drunken confrontation. They both just looked at me like I was crazy.

At that moment…..I was.

I didn't know it right then, but I had just hit my wall.

No comments: